Posted on 07-31-2017
What You Need for Your Dayhike
Time spent outside is best when we’re well-equipped. Here are some basic tips.
- Be prepared for weather, stay alert, plan ahead and have a trail map so you know what to expect.
- Inform others where you will be and what time you plan to be back. Set a deadline to turn around and head back well before sundown.
- Plan on not having cell phone reception.
- Wear proper footwear and clothing.
- Take a compass and a flashlight.
- Bring water and well-sealed trail snacks.
- Apply natural, reliable sunscreen (such as Think Sport)
- Plastic-free water bottles.
- Use DEET-free insect and tick repellant (For an easy home recipe, add 15 drops of geranium and eucalyptus essential oils to a two-ounce spray bottle filled with distilled water. Shake well before each use.)
- Consider a natural first-aid kit. (DIY guidelines for creating alternative kits are found at Tinyurl.com/NaturalRemediesTravelKit and Tinyurl.com/AnHerbalFirstAidKit.